Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Packages

1. I think packaging is more important for new products than old products that have been around for a while. It's important to new products because if someone is looking to try something new then the only thing they really can judge the product on is packaging. If a product has a really distinctive packaging design then it can draw in new consumers more easily. Products that have been around for a while keep their consumers by maintaining the quality of their product, not maintaining a cool look. But older products do need to keep their designs looking good though to keep consumers from trying something else. Whenever I look to buy any new product the packaging plays a big role because if I can't try the product out then I have nothing else but that to base its quality on. I can't think of any specific examples at the moment but usually every time I buy a new product that I haven't used before then the packaging plays an important role in my decision.

2. Red Bull, snickers, iPod, Marlboro, Jones soda

3. Packages that are thick in plastic and are basically impossible to open without a tool box have bad usability. Difficulty to open the package relates to the usability of packaging. I bought headphones the other day and it was very hard to open the package and when I did the packaging was in a million pieces. But usability of packaging really doesn't have much effect on me. If the product is good enough then as long as eventually I get it open then thats good enough for me.

1 comment:

Chuck Stull said...

I agree that new products face a special challenge in marketing, but I'm not convinced that packaging is irrelevant for old products. An easily identifiable package makes it much easier for a shopper to find their favorite brand. This provides a small benefit to the consumer (they save a few seconds) and a big benefit to the firm (consumers don't get distracted by a competing package and switch brands.)